- The Big, Big, Big 'For Books’ Sake' Literature Quiz: Think You Got What It Takes?Written by Samantha HamesLast April in an achingly cool Leeds cafe, five teams of cake eating, coffee swilling, literature devouring bookworms came together for a showdown. Armed with nothing but their pens, their…Be the first to comment! Read more...
- Drones: State Of The Art Murder Weapons?Written by Stephanie SkarbekIt’s perplexing to hear people say, in defence of drone warfare, that drones are ‘state of the art’, precise and effective. This is a bit like saying, ‘alright, fine, a…Be the first to comment! Read more...
- Olympic MulticulturalismWritten by Charles ClarkFor Mo Farah, Saturday night was the high-point of his life. As he crossed the finish line, the Somalian born runner provided us all with a photo-finish and one of…Be the first to comment! Read more...
- Invasion AngelsWritten by Carl JrTHE INVASION HAS LANDED! And we couldn't be happier. The Angels are fronted by Miss Holly Muldoon, Amy Green and Emily Cheadle... and to be honest, we can't think…Be the first to comment!
- Paranormal CraptivityWritten by Saul McArthurPatrick Swayze, Adolf Hitler, Bambi’s mother. They have many similarities; they’re world renowned, have beautiful eyes, and possess strong political views… Oh and also they’re dead. As of now they…Be the first to comment! Read more...
The 21st century has certainly been a cracker already: we’ve had scandals, weddings, breakthroughs… But, for me, this century has been about one thing. The Internet. Everything and everyone is on the internet nowadays; the online world is your oyster, and anything goes.
The Saville revelations at the BBC lifted the lid on a prevalent culture of child abuse within one of the most respected institutions in the world. Saville managed to sidestep allegations for years while he was alive, but who were the ones who made sure his sordid secret activities remained secret.
People will always look after their own. This has never rang truer of an institution than the Police. The unfolding of the story of the Police officer spectacularly cleared of all charges after being recorded racially and another violently abusing a detainee has made this blindingly clear for all to see.
In a world where people are getting shot every day in acts of barbaric violence, it is chilling to suggest we are not surprised by the shooting of 14-year-old Malala. She was shot in the head and neck on her way home from school, and will need her skull restructuring. We might all say how outraged we are at this attack, but when we first saw the news, did we not think ‘oh, another shooting in Pakistan’? But we cannot become immune to it. She was shot after publicly criticising the Taliban for their violent action against girls’ education in 2009. This shooting has gripped the nation in horror as Malala, dared to do what others wouldn’t. Now, others are encouraged to speak out too.
Day 9; And God created foolish idiots!
To possess the power to provide eternal life and eliminate death entirely, but only issue it to those that are willing to kill for you and be submissively loyal is utterly immoral in terms of human nature, both internal and societal. We as human beings derive our moral conduct from our feelings in regard to our human nature. Man created God and has suffered in His shadow. Eliminating God means that we as human beings are the powerful receptacles that retain the memory of our loved ones so that they live on through us, in our human consciousness. Love and compassion exist without the presence of God and provide humanity with the capacity to be moral.
Day 8; And God created bullshit!
How can an atheist find meaning in life? How can we face death without the comfort of the afterlife? How should we think about right and wrong? Creationists fear the questions that arise in the absence of religion and God. The devoutly religious are evasive when it comes to questioning the existence of God or His illogical methods. God did it. This answer to the burning questions of life, death and the reality that surrounds us just simply won't do. Religion and particularly creationism has a smug sense that it possesses the meaning of life. Religion is arrogant. Let us break this down.
Are you a proud owner of the latest gadgets? Mobile phones, laptops, iPods, game consoles…all attractive to the guy lingering around the corner waiting for the opportunity to sneak through your open window. Politicians have announced that in the situation of being presented with an uninvited visitor, as English and Welsh home owners, anyone can use "reasonable" force to protect themselves, or to carry out an arrest or to prevent crime. As a student, what can you do to keep your clobber safe? The question is what is “reasonable” force?